Latest Instagrams
Thursday, November 10, 2016

Upon the Open Land

"The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, 
and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, 
for each day to have a new and different sun."
Christopher McCandless

I will always remember the first time I went to Joshua Tree. I was with my friend and fellow photog. Gabi Adams. We went to go check out a venue for a wedding I had planned a few weeks out. I had always driven by never thinking much of it. Gabi insisted that we had to go watch a sunset on top of a rock, so we drove through the park, climbed on top of a huge jumbo rock, sat down, and embraced the golden sunset. In that moment I had felt more peace and serenity than I had in a long time. I will always treasure the vivid memories I have from watching that sunset, where the sky melted into the Earth and along with it, so did my soul. 

Since that day, many memories have been made upon the open land sprinkled with bunches of yellow wild flowers and spread a crossed with these magnificent Joshua trees. I can remember in my undergrad talking about sublimity, and my mind always went to that exact spot before traveling anywhere else in the world. I always felt that said more about my encounters among the desert than anything else could. 

I'm sure you could understand my excitement when high school senior Savannah told me that this is where she wanted to have her senior session. Only moments before this absolutely gorgeous sunset, it was pouring down rain, the entire Yucca Valley had gone under a storm watch, but we decided to wait it out... I am so thankful we did.

 All of us can relate for waiting for the storm to pass, and let me tell you all, once it does, it is truly magnificent. It is a life lesson all of us need to embrace and hold onto. Sometime the storm has thunder and lightening and is too dangerous to dance in, so we wait, patiently, but we wait... until we can get up on our toes once again and move swiftly and delightfully through our lives.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins